Welcome to the website for the History of Art Department
of the University of California, Berkeley. The Department offers excellent undergraduate and graduate training in the history of the visual arts in Western and Asian culture as well as the opportunity to do specialized study in areas of the student's choice. Fundamentally a humanistic inquiry and often multi-disciplinary in approach, the field provides majors with essential training in those perceptual and historical, research and critical skills needed for many specialized professions. Majors frequently go on to careers in business, law, or the arts as well as graduate study in the History of Art and careers in teaching, museum work, and conservation.
- Announcing 2013 Commencement
Friday, May 24, 2013, 9:00am
Zellerbach Playhouse, UC Berkeley
- Congratulations to three History of Art graduate students, Kappy Mintie, Stephanie Pearson, and Elaine Yau who won Outstanding Graduate Student Instructor Awards for teaching in 2012.
- View our new Fall 2013 course listings
- Congratulations to our faculty member, Julia Bryan-Wilson, for receiving the 2013 Art Journal Award for her essay "Invisible Products".
- Congratulations to our faculty member, Darcy Grimaldo Grigsby, for receiving the 2012 Distinguished Teaching Award. The Distinguished Teaching Award is the campus's most prestigious honor for teaching.
- The Tenth Annual Judith Lee Stronach Memorial Lecture on the Teaching of Poetry
Friday, May 17, 2013, 6:30 pm
Morrison Library, Room 101